[mapserver-users] CGI issue

mledfor mledford at terraphase.net
Mon Jun 8 15:37:06 EDT 2009

Hello,

  I compiled mapserver 5.4.0 and the process went smoothly. It created the
mapserv executable. I am using Solaris 10 on a Unix box and Glasssfish as a
web server. I set up the cgi-bin in WEB-INF and I checked it with some perl
scripts and they worked fine (Hello, etc.) and I copied the mapserv
executable to that location. I ran ./mapserv  and ./mapserv -v and both
returned the expected results (This script can only be used to decode form
results and should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server. AND
MapServer version 5.4.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER S UPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER S UPPORTS=THREADS INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE.) I was able to create an image using
shp2img at the command prompt also. However, when I use a web browser to
test a map (http://mywebserver/cgi-bin/mapserv) I get a browser showing
nothing. I checked the glassfish error log and saw this:
ServletContext.log():cgi: runCGI (stderr):Unrecognized character \x7F at
/export/home/www/gim/build/web/WEB-INF/cgi/mapserv line 1.|#.
It seems as though CGI is trying to run mapserv as an script instead of as
an executable. Last buy not least I made sure the proper directories and
files had the right permissions. Any help would be appreciated. If i have
not included some necessary information let me know and I will include it.

Thanks