[mapserver-users] Multi layer/class : performance

Stephen Kelly steve at sjk.net.au
Fri Jun 12 13:43:06 EDT 2009

Alexandra,

Hi, if you are really interested we have developed a tool here to create tiles for one of our mapping tools, and we generate about 100,000 very large mapserver maps per day and it would be easy for us to do some timing tests for you of both ways and to see which way is the fastest.

One thing we have discovered is that what you do to your shape files is generally more important for speed, than what you do to your map files.

Although we do not rely on min/max scale and choose manually at what zoom what information is shown, and have that in separate map files, as that is the fastest (for what we need to do).

If you have any specific data / map files that you wanted me to test it on- I am sure that we could accommodate that.

We can do 16,000 images one way, 16,000 the other way and time each image and see which way works.

Thanks

Stephen Kelly
www.Peepel.com