[mapserver-users] Ignoring top level settings

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Jun 15 10:15:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

Try using a valid WMS request.  &mode=map is Mapserver option, on the other hand your request is missing a few compulsory WMS parameters. Here is an excerpt from Mapserver WMS document (http://mapserver.org/ogc/wms_server.html):

Test With a GetMap Request

OK, now that we know that our server can produce a valid XML GetCapabilities response we should test the GetMap request. MapServer only checks for a few of the required GetMap parameters, so both of the minimum MapServer parameters and a valid GetMap request will be explained below.

The following is a list of the required GetMap parameters according to the WMS spec:

    VERSION=version: Request version
    REQUEST=GetMap: Request name
    LAYERS=layer_list: Comma-separated list of one or more map layers. Optional if SLD parameter is present.
    STYLES=style_list: Comma-separated list of one rendering style per requested layer. Optional if SLD parameter is present. NOTE that MapServer does not support named styles, so most times you would specify “STYLES=” with an empty value. MapServer does support STYLES when used with an SLD.
    SRS=namespace:identifier: Spatial Reference System.
    BBOX=minx,miny,maxx,maxy: Bounding box corners (lower left, upper right) in SRS units.
    WIDTH=output_width: Width in pixels of map picture.
    HEIGHT=output_height: Height in pixels of map picture.
    FORMAT=output_format: Output format of map.

Remember when playing with valid WMS requests that BBOX is meaning the output extents and BBOX coordinates must suit the SRS.

-Jukka Rahkonen-