[mapserver-users] Seeking guidance for gml_geometries in WFS config

Peter N. Schweitzer pschweitzer at usgs.gov
Wed Jun 17 12:30:58 EDT 2009

I'm running Mapserver 5.4.1, drawing data from PostGIS/PostgreSQL,
using WMS successfully with OpenLayers.  I have tried to configure
the same data as WFS, and am trying to debug using uDig.  Through
helpful advice from the udig-users list, I now question my use of
the gml_geometries and gml_[name]_type elements of the map file.
The WFS server how-to page mentions these elements and describes
how to write them but doesn't give strong guidance as to why one
would, or what the right sort of values should be.  So I ask here.

My WFS services are currently described at http://mrdata.usgs.gov/wfs.html

The map file for "active mines", a point data set, contains the code below.
In particular, I question my use of these two elements:
    "gml_geometries"                 "geometry"
    "gml_geometry_type"              "point"

Direction would be much appreciated!

... map and web elements precede the layer section, of course ...
layer
  name "mineplant"
  connection "user=* password=* dbname=* host=* port="
  connectiontype postgis
  data "the_geom from (select gid,g.idnum,commodity,site_name,company_na,state_loca,county,latitude,longitude,plant_min,p.fips,p.huc,p.quad,the_geom from mineplant g, mineplant_place p where p.idnum=g.idnum) as mine_info using unique gid"
  status on
  dump true
  type point
  tolerance 5
  projection
    "init=epsg:4269"
    end
  labelitem "site_name"
  labelmaxscaledenom 500000
  classitem "commodity"
... a few class definitions ...
  metadata
    "wms_title"                      "mineplant"
    "wms_abstract"                   "USGS Web Mapping Service:  Active mines and mineral plants in the US"
    "wms_keywordlist"                "mine sites; mineral resources"
    "wms_extent"                     "-165.0 24.0 -66.0 73.0"
    "wms_srs"                        "EPSG:4267 EPSG:4269 EPSG:4326 EPSG:3395"
    "wms_feature_info_mime_type"     "text/html"
    "wms_attribution_onlineresource" "http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mineplant/"
    "wms_attribution_title"          "Active mines and mineral plants in the US"
    "ows_include_items"              "idnum,commodity,site_name,company_na,state_loca,county,latitude,longitude,plant_min,fips,huc,quad"

    "gml_geometries"                 "geometry"
    "gml_geometry_type"              "point"
    "gml_featureid"                  "gid"
    "gml_include_items"              "idnum,commodity,site_name,company_na,state_loca,county,latitude,longitude,plant_min,fips,huc,quad"

    "wfs_title"                      "mineplant"
    "wfs_abstract"                   "Mine plants and operations for commodities monitored by the Minerals Information Team of the USGS. Operations included are those considered active in 2003 and surveyed by the USGS."
    "wfs_keywordlist"                "mineral resources; mining and quarrying; mine sites"
    "wfs_metadataurl_href"           "http://tin.er.usgs.gov/metadata/mineplant.xml"
    "wfs_metadataurl_type"           "FGDC"
    "wfs_metadataurl_format"         "XML"
    end

Peter
--
Peter N. Schweitzer (MS 954, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
(703) 648-6533  FAX: (703) 648-6252  email: pschweitzer at usgs.gov
<http://geology.usgs.gov/peter/>