[mapserver-users] output image is blank after a few runs of the mapfile

Ishwari Sivagnanam ishwari.s at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:08:51 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I was experimenting with  "Cartographic Symbol Construction with Mapserver".
I tried the line styles and the hatch symbol. The web page worked okay, all
layers were drawn and the symbols were great.

I used mapserver version 5.0.0 with Php Mapscript.

Layer with carto symbol style
-------------------------

#*******************************
#* layer definition main_quad1*
#*******************************
LAYER
    NAME mainrd_qd
    METADATA
      "DESCRIPTION" "mainrd_w_index"
      "GNAME" "geography Layers"
    END

    GROUP geo
    TYPE LINE
    STATUS OFF
    DATA mainrd

    CLASS
    NAME "mnrd"
       #TEMPLATE '/templates/Minor_RD_qry.html'
      STYLE
      COLOR 183 147 40
      WIDTH 4
      END
    STYLE
      COLOR 242 191 36
      WIDTH 2
      END

     END
 END # end layer main_quad1

This worked about 10 times and then the output image went blank. The web
page gives me no error, The scalebar for the output image is drawn, the
legend icons for the html legend  are drawn but, none of the layers are
drawn in the output map image. I tried setting all the layers' "STATUS" to
"ON/DEFAULT" but that didn't fix it.

I tested the mapfile with the shp2img utility and I got the same blank ouput
image with only the scalebar in 5.0.0. Creating a new mapfile from scratch
with same styles etc seemed to fix the problem. But again after about 10
times of drawing the map the same issue came back.

I then tried the same mapfile with the shp2img utility in Mapserver 5.2 and
I get the same issue.
Any ideas on why is this happening? Has anybody ever run into this issue
before?

Thanks,
Ishwari