[mapserver-users] Compiling MapServer

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jun 23 11:39:16 EDT 2009

Fawcett, David wrote:
> What is the latest advice for output image libraries when compiling
> mapserv on unix?
>
> I remember an older conflict with libtiff and the tiff functionality in
> GDAL.
>
> If one is going to include GDAL, does it make sense to add libtiff,
> libgeotiff, or libjpeg, or is it better practice to just use GDAL to
> read and write these formats?
>
> Pros?  Cons?

Well I think Frank is the ultimate authority on this, but when I asked a
similar question a while back because I ran into a bug or a problem, I
was told that I should just use GDAL and that the mapserver "native"
support was not being actively worked on. My recommendation to the
steering committee at the time was to deprecate the "native" support if
we were not going to maintain it, but I don't think that has gone anywhere.

So my practice to always build mapserver --without-tiff and if I need
image support to build it with GDAL.

Works for me :)

-Steve W