[mapserver-users] Compiling MapServer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 23 11:50:13 EDT 2009

Fawcett, David wrote:
> What is the latest advice for output image libraries when compiling
> mapserv on unix?
>
> I remember an older conflict with libtiff and the tiff functionality in
> GDAL.
>
> If one is going to include GDAL, does it make sense to add libtiff,
> libgeotiff, or libjpeg, or is it better practice to just use GDAL to
> read and write these formats?

David,

It is better to leave out direct use of libtiff, and just let GDAL do it.
Likewise for reading jpeg, and other image formats.  However, I have
noticed that mapserver-trunk now seems to depend on direct use of libpng
and libjpeg for generating these files (as opposed to going through GD).
So it may not be so easy to avoid libpng and libjpeg in builds.

I persume this is not yet an issue with the released versions.

Best regards,