[mapserver-users] Dynamic LabelItem

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Mon Jun 29 14:44:52 EDT 2009

Searching revealed that it is possible to change a labelitem by
substitution.

Have you had a look at this page?
http://mapserver.org/cgi/controls.html

Scroll down to the header 'Using MapServer version >=5'

In the below example, the layer name is 'aqiAreas' and I am changing the
column to be used to 'NAMESAFE'.

I am referencing the layer by name and then after the '=' sign, you put
the property that you want to change (labelitem), a space, and then the
name of the new column to be used.

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/imap/labelitem-test.
map&mode=map&map.layer[aqiAreas]=labelitem%20NAMESAFE

David.

PS.  If this question was about whether OpenLayers passes on your custom
URL vars to MapServer in a WMS call, I am not so sure about that.  I
believe that more recent versions to, but that would be a question for
the OpenLayers list.