[mapserver-users] Is using ECW format allowed or not?

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Wed Mar 4 13:21:54 EST 2009

John Mitchell wrote:
> If instead of using compressed ECW images as input for MapServer WMS you
> had GeoWebCache in front of MapServer which means that the WMS input is
> cached tiled png's instead of ECW images from MapServer.
> Then I think that you get around the ECW SDK license agreement, Correct???

If one wanted to be technical about the ECW consumer being "on the
Internet" then it would have to be connected, well, not to the Internet.
A cross-over cable and a private IP should fill that requirement nicely.

But don't take my word for it; you'd probably want to consult with them
or a lawyer on it. Reading the license is one thing, trying to
circumvent it in good faith is a lawyer's job. ;)

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
System Administrator, Lead Programmer

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA