[mapserver-users] 500 Internal Server Error

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Mar 5 15:09:08 EST 2009

Who installed MapServer then? Depending how it was compiled the cgi
executable
may be looking for loadable libraries (.so or .dll). That's one of the
only ways you'll
get a 500 error without trying to do something. On linux you often need
to set
an environment variable within apache's config, something like:

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/shared/libs;/path/to/more/shared/libs

Steve

>>> Rui Gomes <ruijgomes at gmail.com> 03/05/09 1:41 PM >>>
" Rui, what platform etc.. are you on?"

That is my problem...i try to use a free web host to make a simple
demo of my work.
The server is linux, use apache and permit CGI.

Because i try to build a hello map whithout render any image, i dońt
expect problem whith the libraries so soon. And i have no ideia if i
will can put it working.

2009/3/5 Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us>:
> Rui, what platform etc.. are you on?

> " Are you able to get into a shell?"
>
> I do not think i can do that (or know how do that).
>
> Thanks anyway
>

> 2009/3/5 Gregor at HostGIS <gregor at hostgis.com>:
>>> And a few more question: what libraries i need to put in the server?
>>> Where i can find some documentation about the libraries mapserver
>>> need?
>>
>> A technique I find handy for debugging mapserver problems, a bit more
useful
>> than "Internal server error", is to go into the Unix shell and use
shp2img.
>> Are you able to get into a shell?
>>
>> I'd use something similar to one of these:
>>  shp2img -o test.png -m mapfile.map
>>  shp2img -o test.png -m mapfile.map -d 999
>>  shp2img -o test.png -m mapfile.map -l lakes,streets
>>
>> When that fails, it'll give you more information as to what went
wrong. For
>> example, it will give hints as to shapefiles being transferred in
ASCII
>> mode, or the TEMPDIR not being writable.
>>
>> --
>> Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+,
Server+
>> System Administrator, Lead Programmer
>> HostGIS development & hosting services, http://www.HostGIS.com/
>>
>> "Remember that no one cares if you can back up,
>>  only if you can restore." - AMANDA
>>

> --
>                                      Rui Gomes

                                      Rui Gomes