[mapserver-users] web development project with mapserver- questions

Pablo Romero romero619 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:26:40 EDT 2009

Hi,
I need help figuring out a method to do the following:

1) use mapserver to create a basic, static image of a given region, say,for example the following area:
lat1=0.00
lat2=40.00
lng1=-120.00
lng2=-40.00
(in decimal degrees)

2) use css divs or javascript (or both) to create clickable, hyperlink "markers" over the map image at specific lat/lon points (similiar to google map markers, except over a static map image).

The problem Im having is figuring out a way to create the "marker" divs using absolute (pixel) coordinates over the map image. My marker locations are in lat/lon, and I would need to translate them to the map's image coordinates. I thought about just scaling the points based on the maps's bounds and the map image size, but this would only provide "linear scaling" which might be fairly inaccurate, and I also want a method that will work with most map projections. Does this make sense?

Does mapserver provide any automated means of creating such "markers"?
Or, is there an existing method of translating

Perhaps this question might not be very mapserver-related, but I was hoping someone might have experience with this type of setup.

Here's an example of what Im basically trying to emulate:

http://magicseaweed.com/METARStationHome.php?region=9

I dont know if this map image was created with mapserver, but the general concept stil applies to mapserver: generate a map projection image, and place geo-referenced objects over the map image...

Please help,
Thanks,
P.Romero