[mapserver-users] read GRASS raster files

Steve Smith ssteve52 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 14:09:34 EDT 2009

I'm trying to read a GRASS raster file, from MapServer, but am getting pink tiles.

The layer in my .map file is set up as follows:

LAYER
     NAME "JordanMask"
     DATA "/var/www/html/mapdata/grassdata/NCFeet/PERMANENT/cellhd/JordanMask"
     STATUS on
     TYPE raster
     CLASS
        NAME "JordanLakeMask"
     END
END

I have gdal-grass-1.4.3 install, and mapserver in installed with gdal support:

$ /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
MapServer version 5.4.0-beta3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I also have gdal installed with GRASS support:

$ gdal_translate --formats | grep -i grass
  GRASS (ro): GRASS Database Rasters (5.7+)

If I comment DATA out, in my .map file I do not get the pink tiles, but of course I can not access the data.  However, this makes me think it is a syntax error, but the text in LAYER looks correct. Any ideas on what may be the problem?

Thanks
Steve