[mapserver-users] Mapserver as WMS client and animated GIF

Arjen de Korte arjendk at gmx.net
Fri May 8 12:01:52 EDT 2009

Hi Mapserver users,

I'm using Mapserver (5.0) as a WMS client with a WMS service that
returns animated GIF images. However, it appears that Mapserver does not
show the animation but only shows the first frame of the animated GIF.
When I call the WMS server directly, the animated image is shown
correctly.

My mapfile for the WMS layer looks like this:

	LAYER
		NAME "product"
		TYPE raster
		STATUS on

		CONNECTION "http://example.com/wms?"
		CONNECTIONTYPE WMS

		METADATA
			"wms_srs"             	"EPSG:4326"
			"wms_name"            	"animatedlayer"
			"wms_server_version"  	"1.1.1"
			"wms_format"          	"image/gif"
			"wms_exceptions_format"	"application/vnd.ogc.se_xml"
			"wms_connectiontimeout"	"60"
		END
	END

Can anyone tell me if there is a solution or work-around to let
Mapserver handle these images correctly? Can Mapserver simply not handle
animated GIFs through WMS or could I be making a mistake, e.g. in my
mapfile?

Thanks in advance for any replies, kind regards,

Arjen.