[mapserver-users] select one column values from a table

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue May 19 06:39:11 EDT 2009

hi friend...thanks for ur response...
let me desribe my requirement in detail...
i have one table n_123 and in that table i have 2 columns PLO_900,PLO_901.

PLO_900   PLO_900
af                  op_1
3f                  op_2
h7                 op_3

i need the result like as follows
af
3f
h7

that means all the values from the first column....the specified code u
mentioned  giving me only one record....can u help me ?

Basically you have 2 ways:

1) like in my sample code, iterate all the features and access the field
values with layer.getItem(i)

2) much better for performance and if your layer is in a spatial database:
do a select distinct. If for example you are using PostGis from .NET use the
postgres driver (npgsql: http://npgsql.projects.postgresql.org/) and with a
sqlcommand use this commandtext: select distinct(yourfield) from yourtable

best regards
Paolo