[mapserver-users] Re: Use of palette file: Problems with changingcolors when tiling

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Nov 6 11:43:35 EST 2009

Correct. My palette creation process has been to:

1) create a master image that shows as many possible rendering outputs as possible as a 24-bit PNG.

2) use a tool to reduce the colors in that image to the desired number and create a 8-bit file. In my case
I use PhotoShop and produce a gif. Here's a link to the one I used for our rec. compass app but after
color reduction to 128 colors.

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/compass/remove/compass_color_master.gif

3) extract a palette from the 8-bit image. I wrote a little perl script that processes gdalinfo output.

4) my outputformat block is like so:

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME png
    DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    IMAGEMODE RGB
    EXTENSION "png"
    FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
    FORMATOPTION "PALETTE_FORCE=TRUE"
    FORMATOPTION "PALETTE=/mapserver/compass/compass.palette"
  END

I've not had problems with this method...

It's possible there's a bug but it's going to be difficult to fix without a good test case.

Steve

<a4cd3760911060752i609ad757g9872b8ff5a9b5c27 at mail.gmail.com>, Espen Isaksen