[mapserver-users] KML output

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Nov 9 15:47:44 EST 2009

You have 2 other options.

1) KML is not so complex that you couldn't just roll your own from any MapScript supported
language.

2) Use the CGI and templates.

I've used both approaches (and neither of the others). Couple of issues I've run into are:

  - with templates the shpxy tag doesn't allow you handle polygons with holes

  - templates aren't great with large data sets yet (e.g. thousands of features) since the
necessary processing happens in-memory

  - compression, how to do kmz on-the-fly... I've used mod_deflate with both of the above
with good success. The KML comes over the wire compressed and then is fed to Google Earth
as uncompressed KML.

On the plus side with templates since you trigger with standard MapServer queries you can
return just about any set of features you want.

Steve