[mapserver-users] [BUG] MapServer 5.4.2 going into an endless loop!

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:54:31 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
> Does 5.6 exhibit the problem? Does a straight CGI call (mode=map)
> exhibit
> the problem? -Steve

> Hi!
>
> I have discovered a situation where MapServer seems to enter an endless
> loop
> and uses all the CPU power available on a server. I have managed to
> track
> down the specific feature in our postgis database that causes MapServer
> hang. A database dump containing only this feature and a working mapfile
> are
> attached.

Don't mean to hijack Pål's thread, but I reported a similar issue a
while back. I did not create a ticket along with data that could
reproduce simply because, for now, it is majorly tricky for me to do
so, but the issue is almost exactly the same --

It happens with GetFeatureInfo... zoom in too much, and MapServer goes
into an endless loop. Interestingly, exactly the same query (caught
via the debugging logs) given to pg directly (via pgAdmin) works fine
and returns results, but now via MS. The CPU spikes up, there is no
result returned, and the browser keeps on waiting.

I will try and put together a reproducible case together so the
developers are able to look into it.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org