[mapserver-users] WMS title tags

karsten vennemann karsten at terragis.net
Fri Nov 27 16:09:02 EST 2009

I have been working for a while with WMS layers served by MapServer at they work great. One thing I was wondering about:  What are the wms_title and wms_group_title tags actually good for ?
When I tried to use them to access a WMS they actually don't work (in a http request as layer names), instead with MapServer the MapServer layer names has to be used (at least in all cases I checked). So for example I have a group of river layer in my map file just like the one below:

LAYER
 NAME "Rivers"
 GROUP "Rivers"
 TYPE LINE
 DUMP true
  METADATA
   "wms_group_title" "the_rivers"
    "wms_title" "the_rivers"
    "wms_srs" "epsg:4326"
    "wms_feature_info_mime_type" "text/html"
 END

So "Rivers" I can use to get the layer in a getmap request but not "the_rivers". So is there any use for  "wms_group_title" and "wms_title" ?
How is this handled by other map rendering engines (Geoserver, Mapnik , Degree?)

Thanks so much
Karsten