[mapserver-users] KML Export

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Sep 2 00:10:12 EDT 2009

Josh, you can use MapServer templates to do this sort of thing. With this approach
you can control most aspects of the output file because you have to write the
basics. MapServer then adds feature specific things like geometries and attributes
based on your template. You can run this nightly using a command line approach
like so:

  mapserv -nh "QUERY_STRING=map=your.map&mode=nsquery&qformat=mykml&layer=somelayer" > somelayer.kml

The -nh surpresses the http headers so you can redirect your output to a file easily.

This approach does not convert MapServer styling to KML, you'd need to make that
part of your template. You can also build multi layer KML with this approach with one
template used to represent multiple layers. Let me know if you need an example.

Steve

>>> Josh Hevenor <jhevenor at rogers.com> 09/01/09 6:21 PM >>>
I've been using the ogr2ogr kml exporter to build some nightly conversions
of shape data. I'm wondering if there's a way to include symbolization
here...something that accepts a mapfile and a layername (or just a
mapfile, or whatever) and exports kml.

Alternatively, I've used the ArcObjects 9.3 LayerToKML_converter and I have
nicely symbolized features coming outbut no attributes.

Has anyone used open source tools and gotten both?  Any advice would be
appreciated. If anyone has advice on an Arc approach they can contact me
off-list.

Thanks,

Josh