[mapserver-users] MapServer dynamic map creation - Is this possible?

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Mon Sep 28 08:03:46 EDT 2009

Dan Walton schrieb:
> I am new to WMS, so bear with my ignorance please.
>
> I have a service that processes imagery and outputs large TIFF + World file
> images (5-40 MB), and some shapefiles. Currently these images have no
> pyramid or tiling. I would like to further make the images web map friendly
> and my thought is that WMS and MapServer is the way to go. We will likely be
> creating dozens or perhaps hundreds of these images per day. This needs to
> run on Windows alongside or within IIS.
>
> So I have a volley of questions for anyone who might have answers. Feel free
> to skip any:
>
> 1. Can MapServer even do this, that is, host several large images and allow
> new ones to be added on the fly via the api?

If there is a process, which generates the imags anyway, I think it's
the easiest way to let this procedure
write either a new layer to your mapfile or generate a new mapfile on
it's own. This could be requested as WMS or sth. like that.

> 2. Can each image be a map layer or does each image need its own mapserver
> instance?

each image can be a layer on it's own

> 3. Does the OSGeo4W include utilities to tile and pyramid the images or do I
> have to arrange for that myself?

Yes, check for Gdal Tools and check also http://www.gdal.org/

Regards, ill

> Thanks,