[mapserver-users] Help about a project to use MapServer

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Sep 28 22:10:44 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-28, at 8:50 PM, manuel sosa wrote:

> Dear friends,
> It is a pleasure to greet you. I'm new to the world of geospatial
> science but I have some knowledge about it. My interest is to
> clarify some doubts about a project that I have to implement to a
> customer.
> The work schedule is as follows: It is required to implement a web
> server that has the WFS and WMS capability so users can connect with
> a client application (desktop) and allow them to use the mapping
> information will be available on that server .
> We have been researching products that we could use and there is a
> high degree of approval with MapServer, my questions are:
> - Developing a web server with mapserver, is required to design a
> server access page for handling maps or we can do it only with the
> client application?

mapserver runs as a CGI, fast CGI or module process, it typically
returns just a map image.  There is no need for a separate server
access page.  Hopefully I have understood your question?

> - What software recommended to implement the client application?

Depending on your needs, there are several client libraries and
environments that might be suitable in a desktop environment.  QGIS (c
based GIS application) and uDig (java/eclipse based UI) come to mind
immediately as open source options.

> - In the second stage we are planning to implement routing solutions
> and vehicle tracking, does MapServer have support for these solutions?

No, mapserver only produces a map image (or GML in the case of WFS)
from your GIS data.  pgRouting is an open source implementation of
routing.