[mapserver-users] Mapserver vs Geoserver

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Thu Apr 15 09:49:59 EDT 2010

On 4/15/2010 1:07 AM, mani ., wrote:

> Mapserver && Geoserver
>
> *3*. Mapserver works with CGI, GeoSever with J2EE. That may entail some advantage to GeoServer, since some companies don’t want to work with CGI.

mapserver supports cgi, fastcgi, php, perl, mod_perl, and probably more.
  I use mod_perl/mapscript myself.

> *5*. GeoServer has a web tool administration that eases configuration.

Ick.  I'v played with geoServer and hated the web admin tool.  Could not
find a damn thing.  Hated setting up layers cuz you have to know the
magic click sequence.  Not for me.  With a .map file I can write code to
generate one, or template it, or any other thousand options.  Give me
vim and .map any day of the week.  Also, I cant stand xml.  Hate it bad.
  really  bad.

-Andy

ps: your html email really looked bad on my reader, wrapping was screwed
up, etc, etc