[mapserver-users] Mapserver vs Geoserver

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sat Apr 17 04:32:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

Brent Wood Wrote:

> So a single query (layer) in a mapfile provides access to 1200
available layers. AFAIK, geoserver cannot provide

>  this sort of functionality & flexibility with both embedded SQL
queries specifying a layer content &

>  runtime variable substitution.

I believe that with OGC services both servers are supporting this kind
of queries in a similar way through OGC SDL and Filter Encoding system.
In addition Geoserver supports user friendly CQL filters.  On the other
hand, Mapserver administrator has better control on what queries are
accepted through variable substitution than Geoserver admin with CQL
filters because Mapserver variables must be specified first and they
must have validation rules. However, I suppose that Mapserver does not
have either a possibility to set rules for filters which are coming
baked in with SLD.

-Jukka Rahkonen-