[mapserver-users] having trouble with label size

Ben Tuttle benjamin.tuttle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 17:39:58 EDT 2010

Hi all-
I am working on a mapfile based on the mapfile available by following:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData

I would like to be able to print these at resolutions of about 300dpi
and about 12"x7" so I am looking at making requests of about 3825x2118
pixels. Unfortunately, this is my first time using labels in MapServer
and I don't think I fully grasp all the relevant details of labeling
yet.

I don't think I understand hw to properly change the font size on the maps.
So far no matter what pixel dimensions I choose for the output map the
labels stay the same size. I need the labels to be much bigger for
printing. I have tried adjusting the label size in the mapfile to no
avail. I even made them absurdly (between 200 and 300) large with no
luck. Can someone help me get going in the right direction to adjust
the sizes. Not sure what I am missing, perhaps I need to be using
something for label scale? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can see the output at different resolutions, but with the same
label sizes at the following links. The server is pretty slow right
now so they take a good bit of time to return an image.
http://184.73.51.171/cgi-bin/ev1.rb?extent=-105.5,39.5,-104.5,40&size=600,300
http://184.73.51.171/cgi-bin/ev1.rb?extent=-105.5,39.5,-104.5,40&size=1200,600
http://184.73.51.171/cgi-bin/ev1.rb?extent=-105.5,39.5,-104.5,40&size=3825,2118

The mapfile (about 3200 lines) is available at
http://184.73.51.171/mf/osm-mapserverV4.map
I have included an excerpt of one of the place layers below for a quick example:

LAYER
    STATUS ON GROUP "default" PROJECTION "init=epsg:4326" END
CONNECTIONTYPE postgis CONNECTION "host=localhost dbname=osm
user=www-data password=www-data port=5432" PROCESSING
"CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER" maxscaledenom 100000000010 minscaledenom
10000010
    TYPE ANNOTATION
    NAME "places"
    DATA "way from (select way,osm_id ,place , capital, name from
osm_point where capital='yes' or place='country') as foo using unique
osm_id using srid=4326"
    LABELITEM 'name'
    CLASSITEM 'place'
    CLASS
        EXPRESSION ("[place]"="city" and "[capital]"="yes")
        STYLE
            SIZE 5
            SYMBOL "citycircle"
            COLOR "#FF6767"