[mapserver-users] WMS Orthophoto performance

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Aug 2 13:28:35 EDT 2010

On 8/2/2010 12:16 PM, Cédric MOULLET wrote:
 > Hi Andy,
 > Thanks for your answer.
 > The dataset is composed of several ECW files, that's why we use
TILEINDEX.
 > The data are hosted on EBS (http://aws.amazon.com/ebs/). It's supposed
 > to have normal I/O performance, but probably not fantastic performance.
 > Of what I have observed, I would say that the CPU is probably the
 > bottleneck.
 > My goal is to have a 1s response time. Do I dream too much ?
 > Cédric

I have had problems where we had lots and lots of little tiny files.  It
was much quicker to make a single gigabyte file.  But, that again was IO
problems.

If you really are CPU bound, then I'm not sure what you can do.  Can you
get your client program to request multiple tiles at once instead of one
big one?  mapserver wont use more than one cpu per request, so you'll
need to make multiple requests to use multiple cpu's.

 > Of what I have observed, I would say that the CPU is probably the
 > bottleneck.

Are you guessing?  How did you investigate it?  Can you run 'vmstat 3'
for a while and post it?  It's hard to fix unless you know what's broke.

Also, in the mapfile, you can enable debugging for that one layer, one
of the debug levels includes timing information (its been a while since
I've done it, but the doc's describe it pretty well).

Also, what size of image is being returned?  Maybe its TCP/IP
bandwidth/latency problems?  You could compare client side timing with
the mapfile debug timing... they should be pretty close.  If the mapfile
shows a quicker time than your webclient then its not mapserver at all.

-Andy