[mapserver-users] php_mapscript with apache-php-dso

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Aug 3 08:15:12 EDT 2010

  Hi folks,

I have compiled php-mapscript to run under a Linux Apache server with
php installed as a dynamic module. My whole binary tree is under $HOME,
and programs find their libraries via the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Everything works beautiful with PHP installed as a CGI
binary, but when PHP is installed as a module, Apache complains at
startup that it cannot find the GDAL libraries. It *does* find the
PHP-MapScript module, but that module tries to load GDAL, and that
library isn't visible, although LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in Apache's
configuration with the SetEnv directive. Other local libraries, like
PostgreSQL, are loaded without  any problem.

Things are fixed when I set the library environment in /etc/ld.so.conf
and run the ldconfig command, but that can only be done by root. I want
to create binary distributions that are completely on the user level,
not needing any root access at all. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Jan