[mapserver-users] Setting up an INSPIRE WMS service : Group Layer Problems

tellett thomas.ellett at statkart.no
Thu Aug 19 10:48:37 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up an INSPIRE compliant (compliant to the network services
guidance doc) service for the hydrography theme but have come up against a
bit of a problem.

Essentially, in the portrayal section of the Hydrography data specifications
certain layers are defined, for instance Surfacewater (this happens to
include 2 different feature classes). The problem is that each layer can
included multiple geometries, Points, Lines and polygons. This causes
problems whichever way I try and do it!!

The first option i tried was creating one more layer than was neccesary (e.g
4 layers if the inspire layer contians points, lines and polygons) and
treating the extra layer as a 'top' group layer with all the neccesary
metadata of the inspire layer but with no rendered features. The rendered
features came from the 'sub'layers (1 for each geometry) which include the
"ows_hidden_layer" attribute so that they can't be seen in the capabilities
document. This works well in the capabilities doc and all features are
rendered as they should be. However, there are 2 problems.

The first problem is that when a getfeatureinfo request is used, it calls
the only layer visible in the capabilities doc (the 'extra' layer), and as
this layer can only contain one geometry, only the features with that
geometry can be queried (e.g only linestrings if the TYPE attribute in the
layer block is set to 'line').

The second problem arises if you try and use and SLD because of course the
only namedlayer that can be used contains no rendered features, only an
empty class.

I've attached an extract from my mapfile so you can (hopefully!!) see what
I'm talking about!

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5440623/hydro_example.txt
hydro_example.txt

So what I'm wondered after all this babble is, is there a way of getting a
correct capabilities file whist at the same time being able to query
features and use SLD's correctly? Or is the fact you can't have multiple
geometries in a mapserver layer a complete show stopper here? The reason
that following the inspire layer structure is so important is
interoperability, our service (from Norway) should define the same layers as
the Swedish or Russian service so that seamless datasets can be utilised.

Hope some of this makes sense to someone.....

Regards

Tom