[mapserver-users] Feature select performance

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Wed Aug 25 13:08:42 EDT 2010

Like with everything it depends...  Selection of features via a bounding box shouldn't be much, or really any, slower than drawing since it's basically the same mechanism for both. Attribute queries can be quite slow with shapefiles since MapServer doesn't do any attribute indexing. That's where the RDMS really adds value. There shouldn't be much of a difference with a bbox query, and in fact, a local shapefile will probably be faster, even on larger datasets as long as you've build an spatial index file.

Anyway, it's what you do with results afterwards that matters and that's probably specific to your application.  I've used query files to persist selected features over many map draws successfully on modest (50,000 feature) sized shapefiles.

Steve