[mapserver-users] FastCGI, MapServer and Apache on Linux

Nicolas Chenier nicolas.chenier at agr.gc.ca
Tue Aug 31 15:44:49 EDT 2010

Good day all,

I am fairly new at this, and I am seeking help.

We are currently using a MapServer setup with Apache on Linux, supported
by Tilecache.

Due to the growing number of maps and tiles, we need to cut back on
caching as we are running out of disk space to store the tilecache.

We would like to use FastCGI to generate tiles on the fly with
MapServer, Apache and our SDE db connection, all running on Linux.

I am looking for the optimal way to get this setup, using the latest
Mapserver release with Apache2.

Is there an easy step-by-step guide on getting this setup? I have been
searching through the web, the mapserver wiki and mailing list without
luck.

I am simply looking for the optimal FastCGI configuration settings,
along with deployment instructions from scratch... doesn't have to be
too detailed but just an outline of how we should proceed... Does
anything need to be recompiled with FastCGI support, etc etc...

I really appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Nicolas