[mapserver-users] MS4W using apache/htdocs rather than ms4w/apps

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Dec 10 12:51:10 EST 2010

On 10-12-10 1:39 PM, Ben Thompson wrote:
> I'm trying to put my code in the apache/htdocs folder rather than in
> ms4w/apps...that way you don't have to bother with setting up aliases in
> httpd.conf
> in httpd.conf I say:
> DocumentRoot "d:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs"
>
> in chameleon.xml I say:
> <param-name>web_server_path</param-name>
> <param-value>/chameleon/htdocs</param-value>
>
> but nothing in the chameleon folder loads...all are 404-not-found even
> though the files do exist: (other folders ok)
>
> for example, for /chameleon/htdocs/skins/IGIS/a_pixel.gif
> in access.log:
> "GET /chameleon/htdocs///skins/IGIS/a_pixel.gif HTTP/1.1" 404 239
> in error.log:
> File does not exist: D:/ms4w/apps/chameleon/htdocs/htdocs, referer:
> http://localhost/raap/index.php
>
> where is "/ms4w/apps" coming from? where is "/htdocs/htdocs" coming from?
> what am I missing? is  this impossible with ms4w?

Hello Ben,

If you have questions such as this about configuring MS4W, I encourage
you to use the MS4W mailing list (subscribe at:
MS4W users and developers can assist.

Out of the box, MS4W allows you to use Apache's htdocs directory (the
document root in your case out-of-the-box (unmodified after install) was
probably:

DocumentRoot "/ms4w/Apache/htdocs"

Reinstall a fresh MS4W and then try placing a file in your Apache/htdocs
folder and it will be accessible through your web browser by default.

Any references to /ms4w/apps are made through the conf files located in
the /ms4w/httpd.d/ directory.  I assume you are having problems because
there is a chameleon conf file in that /ms4w/httpd.d/ directory.  Check
it out.

You can contact me directly as well if you need further support.

Happy holidays.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna