[mapserver-users] qGIS mapfile error!

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Feb 3 03:27:55 EST 2010

James Card wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 17:19:11 -0800, Vasile Cristian Stan
> <vasileestan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've created a mapfile using qGiS and when i run mapfile on the
>> mapserver it gives me this error:
>>
>> loadSymbolSet(): Unable to access file. (./symbols/symbols.txt)
>
> Either make sure that you've got a valid symbols file at that path, or
> comment out that line of your map-file if you don't need it for labels
> in your map.
>
> The map-file wizard does not produce a complete, ready-to-run map-file.
> It does most of the tedious layer-related stuff, but you must still edit
> the map-file to ensure that projections and paths and other details are
> valid. At least that has been my experience.

James is right that you might have to edit your mapfile by hand to
remove these problems; however the QGIS Export to Mapfile tool is
improving with each release.  They also need feedback on their tool, so
you can let them know your testing results through their qgis-users
email list (join at http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user).

If you need a symbols.txt file, you can search this archive and use its
symbols.txt file to start: http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/gmap_ms4w_ms5.zip

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna