[mapserver-users] Using e00 files

Jon Miner cp_n18 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 09:29:34 EST 2010

----- Original Message ----
From: Peter N. Schweitzer <pschweitzer at usgs.gov>
To: mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org
Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 12:24:44 PM
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Using e00 files

On 02/02/2010 11:32 AM, Jon Miner wrote:
> Now, I'm trying to layer on information from the GRANIT website:
>
> http://www.granit.unh.edu/
>
> ftp://ftp.granit.sr.unh.edu/pub/GRANIT_Data/Vector_Data/Transportation_Networks/d-railroads/rrnh.e00
>
> These files are "e00" files. Based on some other mailing list entries,  I used the ogr2ogr command to convert the file into Shapefiles:
>
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" temp ../data/rrnh.e00
>
> then copied the files into my data directory, and added a new layer to the map file:
>
> LAYER
>    NAME "rail"
>    TYPE LINE
>    STATUS on
>    DATA nhrail
>    CLASS
>      NAME "Railroads"
>      SYMBOL 0
>      COLOR 168 0 184
>    END
> END
>
> Something is wrong since the line data does not get rendered. Maybe there is a better approach instead of converting to Shapefiles?

Jon,

The rr data are in NH state plane coordinates--are the other data you
are using in the same projection?

Thanks Peter,

I had to specify the raster layer as:

LAYER
  NAME "usgs"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS on
  DATA o43071a4.tif
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:26719"
  END
END

So, I think the answer to your question is, no they're not in the same projection.  What do I need to do to get mapserver to translate between the two? Seems to me that mapserver should be able to read the information out of the files (like ogrinfo and gdalinfo do) and do the "right thing". I admit this might be a total misunderstanding on my part... still learning about mapserver's capabilities.