[mapserver-users] WMS Mapfile implementation

Joseph Harwood joe.harwood at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:20:30 EST 2010

Greetings,

I have a 2 part question.
The USGS offers aerial imagery WMS service. This URL shows the location:
http://seamless.usgs.gov/wms_services.php?layerid=15

 I want to incorporate a WMS service from the USGS that references many
layers (in this case, county aerial imagery). The getcapabilites request
show the layers in xml:
OH_WoodCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006
OH_WilliamsCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006
OH_WayneCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006
and so on.

The online service URL is:
http://imsortho.cr.usgs.gov/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_Ohio?REQUEST=capabilities&SERVICE=WMS

1. Is there a way to populate all these layers into my map with a single
request, or do I need to make a mapfile layer object for each county?

2. If so, In doing this do I need the metadata to spell out each
layer's(county) specific metadata? {title, bbox, name, layer, srid}

My mapfile currently reads:

LAYER
    NAME "OSIP-WMS"
    TYPE RASTER
    #TRANSPARENCY 40
    STATUS OFF
    #MINSCALEDENOM 6000
    CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
    CONNECTION "
http://imsortho.cr.usgs.gov/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_Ohio?REQUEST=capabilities&SERVICE=WMS&layers=OH_AllenCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006
"

    METADATA
      "wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326"
      "wms_title"           "OH_AllenCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006"
      "wms_name"            "OH_AllenCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006"
      "wms_layer"           "OH_AllenCounty_1.0ft_Color_Mar_2006"
      "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"
      "wms_format"          "image/png"
      #"wms_latlonboundingbox" "-85.000000, 38.000000, -80.250000,
42.000000"
    #"wms_opaque" "255,255,255"
      "basemap" "1"
    END

  END

As I have tried to get a single county to work, but I have had no success,
yet.
Any haelp would be appreciated.

Thank you

Joe