[mapserver-users] Refresh changes on map

Fawcett, David (MPCA) David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Tue Feb 9 10:21:40 EST 2010

Eduardo,

Yes, this is possible.

Every request to MapServer is made against the latest version of your data.  To draw only points with a value of 'yes' in the column named 'visible':

- add a layer to your map file that connects to your data source.

- add a class to the layer

- add a style to your layer that defines how the points will be symbolized

- Now, test the map file at this point to see if your data works correctly.  You can do this by using the shp2img utility that comes with MapServer or even easier, make a URL request to MapServer using mode=map.

- once the layer works, add an filter to your layer.  The syntax may vary based on the database that you are using, but it should be something like FILTER "visible = 'yes'".

I think that the simplest strategy for you is to:

- get the layer working as a simple CGI MapServer call.
- then apply your expression to limit the points to only the ones that you want
- finally, modify your map file to server the layer as a WMS

David.