[mapserver-users] small maps of alaska and hawaii

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Feb 22 14:35:16 EST 2010

Julie Knoll wrote:
> Hi, I am working on a site that displays thematic data for the United
> States, and I would like to include small maps for Alaska and Hawaii in
> the corners of the main map, rather than having to zoom so far out to
> see them.  Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way of going
> about doing this? Thanks.

This is really a composition problem where you need to compose a single
image from multiple separate images. The answer really depends on what
media you are using like html, pdf, etc.

If you are trying to do this in a web application I would recommend an
approach some like:

Using PHP/Mapscript, generate you three images and then use PHP GD to
compose the three images into a single image and then return that to the
browser. You can use a similar approach if you are using PDF depending
on the PDF lib you are using.

-Steve W