[mapserver-users] Re: Symbol problem (trunked) using tiled OpenLayers...

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Feb 22 16:37:53 EST 2010

stefanoferri wrote:
> Im sill having problems .... labelcache_map_edge_buffer "-10" remove the
> labels close to the border... but i would like to have these icons... :(...
> Why if i use wms instead of &mode=tile&tilemode=gmap&tile it works fine ?
> thanks

When you use mode=tile, the software has to adjust the extents of the
the image to fit to a tile. The image that you see in the browser is
actually many tiles placed side by side.

Because labels are dynamically positioned based on what other stuff is
being display, there is a possibility for labels to move and there are
lots of parameters that control some of the position issues with labels
like:

partial false
position auto

and there are some metadata parameters like labelcache_map_edge_buffer
and probably some others.

Mapserver does not know what or how it drew the tiles adjacent to the
one it is currently drawing. For example if you have a lone horizontal
line that crosses many tiles and each tile draws it, should they all
label it or only some of them? The way we make this look good is to use
metatiles, these are large images made up of many tiles that are
rendered and then chopped into tiles. this way we can draw more like a
single image WMS and mapserver controls labels based on this large image
and avoids labeling near the edges so labels to not get truncated
between tiles that lie on adjacent metatiles.

Mode tile does not give you this option. It is planned to add WMS-C tile
caching to mapserver 6.0, and in this you would get the ability to use
metatiles.

Sorry I don't think you can do what you want with mode=tile at the
moment, but I would defer to others that might be more knowledgeable on
mode=tile.

-Steve W