[mapserver-users] Re: Layer scale problem with Mercator (EPSG:900913)

paalkr pal.kristensen at statkart.no
Tue Feb 23 14:10:20 EST 2010

Thanks Daniel, for a very good answer and a detailed description of the
problem. The side effects that you describe could be a show stopper, as the
map service definitely will be used in a tiled environment. Norway spans
from approx 58 to 71 degrees north, so different layers would most likely be
turned on and off during panning north / south. I totally agree that
Mercator is an unsuited projection this far from the equator, but
unfortunately some customers do insist on combining our services with Google
maps.

One other solution (or rather work around) I have thought of is to implement
projection depended scales, and bind maxscale and minscale denominators to
different EPSG codes. Of course this would not solve the mercator issue on a
global basis, but in a relative small and well defined area like Norway it
might be good enough, or maybe not?

Regards,
Pål Kristensen

-----