[mapserver-users] how can I associate MySql and Gdal

karlos036 karlos036 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 09:44:57 EST 2010

Murat,

  You'll need to get the MapServer source and compile it yourself in order
to add MySql support.

  Look at the 5.4.2 documentation
(http://mapserver.org/installation/unix.html) for instructions.

  In order to compile MapServer, you'll need to have the MySql db, client
and dev packages installed.  You can use whatever package manager you have
to add any missing component.

  I've did some testing with MySql.  I converted all of the world country
shapefiles (.shp) to sql import scripts and then imported them into MySql (I
have instructions on how to do this archived somewhere).  Displaying simple
geometries worked OK, but complex shapes such as Argentina or Chile (lots of
small vectors define the country outline) were very slow to load even when
indexed carefully.  I found that PostgesSQL was much faster and better
supported if you are planning on storing your shapefiles within a database
in order to query and then display them.   If you are just storing data
points, then MySql works fine.

Cheers,

Karlos