[mapserver-users] problem installing mapscript

daryl herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Sun Jul 4 12:39:16 EDT 2010

Hello Worth,

Welcome to Mapserver!

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010, Worth Lutz wrote:

> This is my first time trying to install mapserver without using a package.
> I have not found a RPM for mapserver 5.6.3 for RHEL5
>
> I downloaded mapserver and did the configure and make.  After installing all
> the missing libs I thought I had it done.
>
> After copying moving php_mapscript.so to the proper location, I find that
> upon restarting apache it does not load.  Here is the message from the error
> log.
>
> ---snip-------
> PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/lib64/php/modules/php_mapscript.so' - libgeos-3.2.0.so: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
> ---snip-------

This is a sign that the location you put libgeos-3.2.0.so is not in the
system's nor apache's LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  If libgeos is in /usr/local/lib,
make sure that is in either /etc/ld.so.conf or in a file in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/ .  Typically, I do this.

echo "/usr/local/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/usrlocal.conf
ldconfig

> In an effort to correct this, I downloaded and installed libgeos and
> tried to install it.  I also tried to install a rpm with libgeos 3.1.1.

If you did this after compiling geos and mapserver, you probably have a
conflict going now.

> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libpq.so.4, needed by /usr/lib64/libgdal.so, may
> conflict with libpq.so.5

Did you compile gdal or get it from a third party packager?

daryl