[mapserver-users] Re: Styling a mapfile with SLD?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jun 2 09:01:48 EDT 2010

Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:

> On 02/06/2010 2:39 AM, paalkr wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanks! I really don't understand how that poorly formatted
> SLD slipped
> > trough the oxygen XML editor, obviously there are many
> close-tags that
> > misses the backslash.
> >
> > Do you know if there is a ticket regarding the lack of
> error messages when
> > MapServer fails to either pick up or parse a SLD document?
> If not I think
> > that I will write one, and encourage one of my colleagues
> to have a look at
> > the source and maybe write a patch for it.
> >

>   There is an ol one
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1471 that I
> just updated. The errors are trapped but at this point we let the WMS
> request succeed without the SLD. I believe the correct way
> would be to
> return an exception.

This needs some consideration.  Think about an end user who is using
somew ready made application which is set to get styles from an external
SLD.  Now if this SLD gets broken, which would you prefer as an user: a
correct exception without a map, or a map which may have wrong styling?
I would take the map.

-Jukka Rahkonen-