[mapserver-users] Cascading WMS

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jun 3 23:38:27 EDT 2010

Jerry O'Sullivan wrote:

> I have set up Mapserver to read a WMS server and then feed this out via
> WMS. The image quality is degraded by MapServer so it is re rendering
> the image.
>
> How can I get MapServer to simply pass the image that it gets from the
> WMS server on instead of re rendering?

I can think of two reasons for loss of image quality in cascaded WMS layers:

1- Incompatible output format. For instance, if the cascaded WMS returns
  24 bit imagery (PNG24 or JPEG) and your MapServer is configured for 8
bits output (GIF, PNG8) then you will experience some color issues.

2- Reprojection. Make sure the SRS that is used by the WMS client is
supported by the cascaded server and listed in the wms_srs metadata.
Reprojection of the cascaded WMS request (required if the requested SRS
is not listed as being supported by the remote server) can greatly
degrade image quality. If your client calls MapServer with a SRS that is
supported by the remote WMS server then it should make essentially the
same request to the remote server and there should be no transformation
or quality loss.

HTH

Daniel
--