[mapserver-users] Re: Migration to MapServer

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Fri Jun 11 19:21:31 EDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 6:58 PM, ext yUser wrote:

> Hello Christopher,
>
> Thanks for replying and for the information you provided.
> Based on your suggestion I am also looking into OpenLayers.
>
> Actually, one more reason I wanted to migration to MapServer was to access
> map data within a LAN without internet.
>
> I am still looking into OpenLayers and was just wondering if the map data is
> available would it require any network connectivity.

If you were to use Google Maps for data, you would require an internet
connection.

If you were to use OpenStreetMap for data, you would need to set up a local
renderer or tile cache to cache the data; both are time consuming and
somewhat difficult for a novice, but would allow you to run with
no internet connection.

If you were to find data other than OpenStreetMap, you would need to
set up a local renderer for the data. This is time consuming and
somewhat difficult for a noivce, but would allow you to run with no
internet connection.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt