[mapserver-users] Re: Migration to MapServer

yUser yasirshoa at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 16:49:44 EDT 2010

Hello Till,

Thanks for your reply.

So based on your answer, this is what I infer:
The solution is a combination of MapServer and OpenLayers.
1. First I find the data from www.openstreetmap.org (maybe it is ESRI
...have to check) , and then use that to display using MapServer.
2. Once map is rendered on the client, then OpenLayers will help with
javascript part of drawing polylines on the map.

Please advise if I am wrong in my understanding.
Thanks.

Aside: My main focus at is to have all of this within an LAN without any
internet connection to begin with. Possibly have all the map data in a
Server and then display that and use javascript on the client. I already
have a working application using GoogleMaps API and I need to transfer it to
the new solution. The other reason to have everything within LAN is to do
Load Testing which is bit difficult with Google Maps considering that the
load test might cause Google to block IP - assuming it as a DOS attack.