[mapserver-users] Technology to combine with MapServer?

Fia sofia.bryntse at et.slu.se
Fri Jun 18 08:45:57 EDT 2010

Hi!

I run a MapServer application that reads data from a PostgreSQL database
(with PostGIS) and plots them on a map. Now I want to make objects
clickable, so I can for example click on a flag to get a popup with short
info, together with a link. (Or the same popup by hovering over a flag with
the cursor, either works.)

What technology should I use? I have started using OpenLayers and I've
managed to put up a WFS service through MapServer, but I don't know how to
connect the two. Or should I even use some other, better technology? I've
heard people talking about GeoExt, ExtJs, Mapfish, Geoserver and more, but
I'm a a novice here and don't know what to choose. Programming PHP
workarounds is also an option. But I need some guidance in this, I have no
idea which solution is best (fast to accomplish/robust for large
databases/performance wise etc)to choose an object from a map and present
more information about it.

Best regards,
Sofia