[mapserver-users] Joins and classification

nikos at maich.gr nikos at maich.gr
Wed Jun 23 09:21:30 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to go about the following.

I have a running MS application displaying some maps, w/ data in postgis.
Via a form a user can set some data and run an econometric model, which
ultimately spits out a  csv with objectid (polygons), an analysis value
and whatever else I may need (session id, user etc.).

I would then like to redisplay the map, re-classified on these new
analysis values.

In the past I was doing updating the shapefile dbf, adding a whole column
at a time.

While this was ok for a proof of concept, it would not scale well (at
all), and I am looking to move to multiple users, sessions etc.

I can do an sql or an ogr join on the postgres attribute table, and the csv
on objectid with the users id, session, value etc.

I am not sure as how to go about the rest.

1. Reading up on joins the docs say they are not for affecting the look of
the map, but more
for the results of a query...

2. Does MS and postgis support views in the layer definition. I believe not

3. Should I be looking at filters???

Using MS 5.7-dev

would appreciate any feedback,

regards,