[mapserver-users] A Question of Group

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Mar 3 09:36:35 EST 2010

Bill,

This is a shameless plug for GeoMoose functionality, it was prompted by your comments below however, so I don't feel too bad  :c)

*  GeoMoose can handle almost an unlimited number of layers (Browser memory being the limit for the most part), we have just over 170 layers in our internal installation (and growing)
*  It has had a expand/collapse feature since day one.
*  It has had grouping available via MapFiles from day one, and the last couple of versions have had grouping with control in the client, while still maintaining individual layer control at the user end.  You can group layers in a single mapfile for a single image return, and still be able to control the separate layer on/off visibility in the client.
*  Most (if not all) of the layer specific controls are icon based. (you can also add layer specific user extensions as well, that's another post though)
*  Each layer (or group of layers) is controlled via it's own mapfile, while this might seem cumbersome to manage, it does allow for separate and integrated management of data layers by many data custodians, which is what GeoMoose was originally designed for, many data custodians doing their own thing.  It's also very good for automation purposes in general.

Check it out, the new GeoMoose site ( www.geomoose.org) ( http://www.geomoose.org) ) has some live demos of the interface running, which demonstrate many of it's capabilities in online working versions.

bobb

>>> Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:

In my case I was happily building a pretty good tool in Open Layers, and
the first thing a new client wanted was support for up to 100 layers,
which is not do-able in OL because the layer switcher doesn't have a
scrollbar and it maxes out when the list of layer reaches the bottom of
the map window. It also has no grouping ability to treat a group of
layers as a single layer, nor does it provide a expand/collapse feature,
or show layer icons. Other than the grouping issue (which I think is not
going to be as useful as the client thinks, even if I get it to work the
way they want) HTML Legends cover a lot of ground with not a lot of code
needed. Still, I think I should look at this GeoMoose some time. It
sounds pretty good.