[mapserver-users] A Question of Group

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Wed Mar 3 15:26:01 EST 2010

Version 5.6 introduces an XML mapfile schema and stylesheet. So (in theory) one could manage a mapfile in XML and transform it for use. We intend to allow more direct use somehow although that hasn't been decided. At the code sprint an on-the-fly transformation was tested successfully. Other options include just-in-time conversion from XML to .map (via XSLT) or native XML parsing. We'll see...

On a side note, developers here played with using HTML legends to create output suitable for use with the YUI collapsible menu widgets. In the end we gave up and instead worked up a PHP/MapScript-based solution. The script works off a mapfile and a bit of embedded metadata to produce a JSON legend object. That object is passed in turn to a legend widget that is based on YUI. The legend is somewhat framework agnostic and we've hooked it up to dbox (where it started) and more recently OpenLayers. With an XML mapfile one could probably to the JSON production independent of MapScript or entirely on the client although that's probably sharing too much information.

Steve