[mapserver-users] Raster Display Performance

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Sun Mar 7 15:17:56 EST 2010

Hi Zsolt

Before you use gdaladdo, I would make sure that the internal structure on your TIFF files is tile based. You can use gdalinfo to check. If not, use gdal_translate to turn into a tile structure:

gdal_translate -of GTiff -co TILED=YES -co BLOCKXSIZE=64 -co BLOCKYSIZE=64 input.tif output.tif

After that use gdaladdo:

gdaladdo -r average abc.tif 2 4 8 16

You should repeat this for every TIF image you have.

Thirdly, create your index file using gdaltindex

Finally, use shptree to create a spatial index on your index Shape file:

shptree index.shp

regards,

Robert

>>> Medve Zsolt <medvezs84 at gmail.com> 8/03/2010 8:46 a.m. >>>
Hy all!

I would like to ask for a help. I have a dataset. 30 pieces of Tif file,
aproximately 240 MB each.
I make a layer in the map file:

         LAYER
             NAME "something"
             STATUS ON
             TILEINDEX "sh.shp"
             TILEITEM "Location"
             TYPE RASTER

             METADATA
                 "DESCRIPTION"   "Something too"
                 "ows_title"     "dem"
             END
         END

I use this in the pmapper framework.(But its doing the same thing in
ka-map either) But its apeaars very slowly and when i panning its reload
all and its very slowly too.. i would like to tune up the performance
somwhow.
I am looking the gdaladdo program, because mapserver documentation
suggest it. But when i tried the given examples
(http://www.gdal.org/gdaladdo.html) it wont work, or i dont know what to
see, Its just do nothing i think..

Can anybody help me on this? Or any method to make a better performance?
please!

thanks,
Zsolt

The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.