[mapserver-users] inquiries about mapserver functionalities

Scarlett Jiang jiangtianscarlett at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 06:19:39 EST 2010

Functionality

Compatible Data

XY data (point data)

ESRI shapefiles

SQL Server 2008 Spatial

Map Service Access

WMS

WFS

Background maps  included (like Bing Maps or Google Maps)

Map Handling

Define layers´ symbology

Label placement

Legend / Layer symbology thumbnail

Layer thumbnails for table of content

Dynamic overview map

Create graphic output layers

Tiled maps output

Preproduction of map tiles

Handle projections

GIS Analysis

Select by attribute

Select by location

Spatial queries like intersect

Buffer analysis

Advanced analysis tools like ESRI´s geoprocessing tools

Editing

Point editing

Line editing

Polygon editing

Advanced editing support tools like snapping, trace etc

To Who it may concern:

I am a thesis student at WSP Sweden. Temporarily, we at WSP Sweden are trying to consider alternative map servers to ArcIMS. And we think that MapServer may be a good option. Nevertheless, We have a requirement list regarding functionalities that a map server should provide (see the table). Since we are new to Mapserver, we are not sure whether MapServer offers these functionalities. Can you please check this list and tell us what functionalities that MapServer is capable of doing?

Thank you.
Best Regards
Scarlett Jiang