[mapserver-users] LABEL-formatting options

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Wed Mar 10 03:30:51 EST 2010

Hello Brent,

pcreso at pcreso.com, [20100310 - 00:25:21]

> Yep, always frustrating to suffer such constraints.
>
> Can you not define the layer in mapserver as an ogr layer rather than
> a native shapefile, and use ogr's pseudo-sql to cast/retrieve the
> value as a numeric more suitable for labeling with?
>
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_sql.html
>
> Then in your mapfile use connectiontype ogr, as in:
> http://mapserver.org/input/vector/ogr.html
>
> (see example 4 with shapefiles joined in an ogr query)

I have seen this example, but have not done any experiences in a
productive env. Can you say anything about performance for this sort of
ogr-layer? Is this comparable to shapefiles?

> I agree it would be nice to have mapserver able to do this, but until
> then there should be some workaround (like this) that will suffice.

yes, sure. I guess it will be only some more lines of java-code to add
another column with trim()ed values to the shape, but a generic
solution will be even better.

Cheers

	Stephan

--